Calvary was initially an Evangelical United Brethren congregation. In the same year that Lemoyne became a borough, the first steps were taken toward the formation of Calvary E U B Church. It was on June 2, 1905, that the Pennsylvania Church Conference Extension Board met in Lemoyne to take action on a proposal that United Brethren churches be established in Lemoyne and Enola.
A plot of ground, 124 feet front and 120 feet deep, on the southwest corner of Market and Seventh Streets, was purchased for the sum of $1075.00. The stated purpose of the congregation was “to afford a United Brethren Church home for the many people of that denomination locating in this growing suburb of Harrisburg, to accommodate those who would come with the approaching years and to help establish the Kingdom of God in the immediate community.”
At the 1905Annual conference held in Washington, D. C., a mission at Lemoyne was authorized and Rev. W. H. Weaver was assigned to the mission as pastor for the Lemoyne and Enola Missions. The first devotional meeting was held December 31, 1905, at 2:15 P.M. in the pastor’s home on Hummel Avenue. There were 18 people In attendance.
Early In 1906, M. R. Rhoads, architect of Chambersburg, was authorized to submit plans and specifications for a church edifice to be erected on the ground which had been purchased earlier. The plans were submitted to the Board of Missions in sessions at Lemoyne and were approved. Soon afterward a Board of Trustees was elected and was directed to proceed at once to erect the Sunday School rooms and to arrange for the building of the auditorium at a later date.
On May 23, 1906, the contract for the construction of the Lemoyne chapel was awarded to C. W. Strayer for the sum of $6687.80. Ground breaking services were held Sunday, May 28, 1906 and the cornerstone was laid August 26 of the same year. The chapel was formally opened for worship February 24, 1907, with dedication services held Sunday, April 7. Bishop J. S. Mills spoke at the morning and evening services. This building served as Sunday School room and chapel until the main auditorium was built. The original congregation was composed of 24 members.
Before many years passed there was a need for larger church facilities and in 1926 the groundbreaking occurred for a new auditorium. More than 500 people were present Sunday September 26, 1926, for the laying of the cornerstone.
1946 saw the merger of the United Brethren congregations with Evangelicals to become EUB.
In 1954-1955 more building occurred at Calvary Church. The original church was taken down and a new Sunday School was erected on the east side of the sanctuary. Also a new addition was built located to the rear of the sanctuary at the basement level. It contained a new kitchen, furnace room, rest rooms and storage room.
1958-59 the sanctuary was renovated and again in 2003. A new sound system was installed as well as the organ being completely cleaned and the front of sanctuary changed to accommodate space for contemporary services, drama and musical presentations.
Many changes have been made over the years to the building itself but the faith that has grown and continues to grow to this day has not faltered. We are still a community of faith.
In 1968 Calvary officially went from EUB to Calvary United Methodist Church, Lemoyne.